Employment opportunities, postdoctoral positions, summer jobs
- Instructions for Posting Job Ads
- See also the Linguist Job List.
- Archived postings:
- 1 NLP Postdoctoral Researcher at UNSW, Australia
- 2 Computer Science Postdoctoral Researcher in Natural Language Processing for Social Science
- 3 Research Scientist, Natural Language Processing
- 4 Research Scientist on Natural Language Processing
- 5 Postdoc Researcher on Vision and Language
- 6 Postdoc Positions at Johns Hopkins University
- 7 Associate/Full Professor in Computational Linguistics at Stony Brook University
- 8 Research Scientist at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence
- 9 Software Engineer - Machine Learning / NLP (Chinese) at SYSTRAN
- 10 Vacancy for Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader at University of Dundee
- 11 Postdoctoral Fellow in Computational Models of Reasoning / Intelligence Systems Section at AI Center / US Naval Research Laboratory
- 12 Internship positions available at Juji, Inc.
- 13 Postdoctoral Fellow in Natural Language Processing / AI at Brigham and Women's Hospital / Harvard Medical School
NLP Postdoctoral Researcher at UNSW, Australia
- Employer: The University of New South Wales, Australia
- Title: Research Associate/Fellow
- Specialty: NLP, Knowledge Graph
- Location: Sydney, Australia
- Deadline: June 6th, 2016
- Date posted: May 14th, 2016
- Contact: Wei Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A postdoctoral position is available in School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of New South Wales, Australia. The successful candidate will work with Dr. Wei Wang on utilizing Natural language processing (NLP), data mining, and semantic web to develop novel algorithms, tools and methods for constructing and maintaining domain-specific knowledge graphs from vast amount of unstructured/semi-structured data sources. This position is funded by Data to Decisions Cooperative Research Centre (D2D CRC), which was established in 2014 with a grant of A$25 million from the Australian Government, researchers and industry to provide the Big Data capability resulting in a safer and more secure nation and a sustainable Big Data workforce for Australia.
- Proven ability to undertake research in a relevant research area (e.g. natural language processing, data mining, knowledge graph) at an international level, as evidenced by research output.
- Excellent programming skills (java or C/C++).
- A demonstrable history of contributing to excellent publications in relevant top-tier conferences (e.g. ACL, EMNLP, KDD, IJCAI, AAAI, ICML, NIPS, SIGMOD, VLDB) and journals.
- Proven ability to communicate specialist ideas clearly in English using written media.
- Excellent organisational skills with a proven ability to work independently and be self-managing, to prioritise your work and meet deadlines within the framework of an agreed programme.
- A PhD in Computer Science or closely related area, or equivalent experience. Candidates with pending degrees who will successfully defend their dissertations by August 1, 2016 will also be considered.
- Knowledge of statistical natural language processing.
- Knowledge of knowledge graph construction and applications.
- Experience with analysing large text corpora using a high-performance computing environment.
- Experience with python/R
SALARY RANGE AND CONTRACT LENGTH
- Research Associate: A$86,438 - A$92,453 per year (plus employer superannuation)
- Research Fellow: A$97,090 - A$114,454 per year (plus employer superannuation)
This is a fixed term position of one year with further renewal up to January 2019, subject to funding.
The School of Computer Science and Engineering in UNSW, located in Sydney, is one of the largest and leading computing schools in Australia. It offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science and Bioinformatics, as well as a number of combined degrees with other disciplines. It attracts excellent students who have an outstanding record in international competitions (such as Robocup).
Please send a statement of interest, an academic CV (in pdf format) to Wei Wang (email@example.com) with the subject line starting with "[CRCPostdoc]". For informal queries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Computer Science Postdoctoral Researcher in Natural Language Processing for Social Science
- Employer: University of Pennsylvania
- Title: Postdoctoral Researcher
- Specialty: NLP
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Deadline: May 15th, 2016
- Date posted: April 26th, 2016
- Contact: Professor Lyle Ungar: email@example.com
We invite applicants for a postdoctoral research position in natural language processing for health and social science, working on an interdisciplinary research project studying subjective well-being and health outcomes. The researcher will help develop state-of-the-art methods and models to better understand people, such as predicting personality from the words they use and automatically recognizing cognitive distortions typical of people prone to depression. The primary responsibility will, of course, be producing top-quality published research in areas of interest to you and the WWBP team. You will be expected to lead multiple peer-reviewed publications each year and to support (as secondary author and technical expert) many more publications. As part of that latter process, we would like you to serve as the equivalent of a “Chief Technology Officer” of the WWBP, providing technical oversight and mentoring to the programmers and data scientists who build and maintain our software and hardware infrastructure, and who do the vast bulk of the data collection and analysis for the WWBP.
The ideal candidate will have research experience in computational linguistics and applied machine learning. They will develop and code novel methods to leverage large datasets (i.e. billions of tweets) and use them to further our understanding of health, well-being, and the psychological states of individuals and large populations. Methods and results will be published in high impact computer science venues and, via collaboration with psychologists and medical doctors, in social science and health venues. See wwp.org for example publications.
Approximate Start Date: Summer 2016
How to Apply
Send a detailed CV with at least 2 references who can be contacted for letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include job-code “POSTDOC-CS” in subject line.
Research Scientist, Natural Language Processing
- Employer: EMR.AI Inc.
- Title: Research Scientist
- Specialty: NLP
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Deadline: May 20th, 2016
- Date posted: April 21th, 2016
- Contact: David Suendermann-Oeft (email@example.com)
Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, EMR.AI Inc. is a leading provider of AI solutions to the medical sector. EMR.AI transforms unstructured information, in form of written, spoken, or typed reports, clinical test results, and radiographs into international standard codes saved in common EMR systems. The wealth of discrete medical data provided through this transformation in conjunction with EMR.AI's suite of medical analytics solutions enables stakeholders, practitioners, researchers, health providers, and policy makers to obtain a comprehensive picture of the available medical data in their organization.
EMR.AI Research & Development has openings for Research Scientists in the field of Natural Language Processing in our Downtown San Francisco offices. Scientists will work on projects spanning a variety of tasks including the semantic interpretation of written and spoken medical reports, the design of language models for a variety of NLP tasks and speech recognition, the summarization of written and spoken language in the medical domain, the incorporation of lexica, ontologies, relational databases, and other sources of structured and unstructured knowledge sources into EMR.AI’s medical NLP tool set, and others.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a cutting-edge R&D team in the epicenter of the world’s AI tech industry with true impact on medical research.
- Process huge corpora of medical textual documents to perform syntactic and semantic analyses and train, tune, and test probabilistic and other data-driven models, using both existing tool benches, proprietary and open-source, as well as self-developed algorithms and techniques.
- Produce high-quality programs and scripts to embed scientific algorithms into effective prototypes and demos to be shared with EMR.AI’s leadership team, its customers, partners, and vendors.
- Create and document technological innovations by means of patent disclosures, scientific publications, media alerts, and other channels.
- Work closely with EMR.AI’s speech processing team and its software engineering division to produce innovative and effective solutions for a range of AI products and services in the medical domain.
- Represent the R&D division in communications with EMR.AI’s leadership team, its customers, partners, and vendors at meetings, conventions, and other venues as well as in written statements.
PhD in computer science, computational linguistics, electrical engineering, or a related field. Experience in the state of the art of NLP and its standard tools is required. Candidates must be very skilled in programming and must have a proven scientific track record. They must be excellent team players, including with distributed teams, and strong in oral and written English communication. Knowledge of the US medical sector is desirable, so are experience with start-ups and strong scientific connections throughout the Bay Area and beyond.
EMR.AI offers competitive salaries, an excellent benefit package, and a stimulating work environment in the heart of San Francisco with manifold local, domestic, and international commercial and academic partnerships.
How to Apply
Please send your application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
90 New Montgomery St
San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Research Scientist on Natural Language Processing
- Employer: IBM Research Ireland
- Title: Research Scientist
- Specialty: NLP, Machine Learning
- Location: Dublin
- Deadline: May 5th, 2016
- Date posted: April 11th, 2016
- Contact: link to application page
Ireland is accepting applications for full-time researchers in the area of natural language processing. The ideal candidate will have a PhD degree in computational linguistics or in computer science with a specialisation in Natural Language Processing (NLP). Prior experience in the area of text analytics with information extraction, information retrieval and machine learning are highly desirable, and experience with corpus linguistics or natural language understanding are a plus. Strong programming skills in Java are required.
The successful research candidate must have demonstrated ability to define research plans, carry out leading research, and publish research results through professional journals, academic conferences, and patents. As a researcher you will be expected to organize challenging problems, develop new solutions, and work with business & development teams to ensure these solutions have a significant impact.
Postdoc Researcher on Vision and Language
- Employer: University of Liverpool
- Title: Postdoc
- Specialty: Computer Vision with an interest in human vision/language behaviour
- Location: Liverpool UK
- Deadline: April 20th, 2016
- Date posted: March 28, 2016
- Contact: link to application page
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research associate position to study the relationship between visual/spatial representations and language. Language is often used to describe the visual world and this is done by labelling objects in the world with various categories such as roles (e.g., agent, goal). There is now a large infant social cognition literature which shows how categories like agents and goals may be identified using simple visual heuristics. In this post, we will strengthen these links by experimentally manipulating visual cues to see how they influence language choices in adults and children. In addition to the experimental study of these links, we will also develop computational models that use computer vision techniques to track the interaction of objects in videos and link these visual codes to the descriptions of the actions. We are most interested in people with a computational background who have an interest in human vision/language processing.
This post offers the opportunity to join a thriving research group at the University of Liverpool and become a member of the ESRC International Centre for Language and Communicative Development (LUCID, http://www.lucid.ac.uk/), a multi-million pound collaboration between the Universities of Liverpool, Manchester and Lancaster. You should have (or be about to obtain) a PhD in the field related to Computer Science, Psychology, Cognitive Science, or related disciple. The post is available for 3 years.
Postdoc Positions at Johns Hopkins University
- Employer: Johns Hopkins University
- Title: Postdoc
- Specialty: NLP, Machine Learning, Social media analysis for computational social science, health/medicine
- Location: Baltimore, MD
- Deadline: March 31, 2016
- Date posted: March 1, 2016
- Contact: http://www.clsp.jhu.edu/employment-opportunities/
The Center for Language and Speech Processing (CLSP) at the Johns Hopkins University seeks applicants for postdoctoral fellowship positions in speech and language processing, including the areas of natural language processing, machine learning and health informatics. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in a relevant discipline and a strong research record.
The center has a number of postdoctoral positions available for the coming year. Possible research topics include:
- Trend Detection in Social Media
- Broadly Multilingual Learning of Morphology
- Stochastic approximation algorithms for subspace and multi-view representation learning
- Analysis of large-scale time series data in healthcare
Host faculty include: Mark Dredze, David Yarowsky, Jason Eisner, Sanjeev Khudanpur, Benjamin Van Durme, Raman Arora, Suchi Saria
Associate/Full Professor in Computational Linguistics at Stony Brook University
- Employer: Department of Linguistics, Stony Brook University
- Title: Associate/Full Professor
- Specialty: Computational Linguistics
- Location: New York, USA
March 14, 2016May 1, 2016
- Date posted: February 17, 2015
- LinguistList Announcement: http://linguistlist.org/issues/27/27-861.html
- Contact: Lori Repetti email@example.com
The Department of Linguistics at Stony Brook University invites applications for a tenured appointment in computational linguistics, beginning Fall 2016 or Fall 2017. This is a senior appointment at the Associate or Full Professor level.
The successful candidate will have a PhD (preferably in Linguistics or Computer Science), an outstanding research profile in Computational Linguistics (ideally in areas that complement existing departmental strengths), a strong track record in grant acquisition, and teaching and advising experience at the graduate and/or undergraduate levels.
They will also be expected to
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the Department's degree programs in linguistics and computational linguistics,
- Initiate new collaborations and expand existing ones with other computational research groups on campus, in particular in the Department of Computer Science and the Institute for Advanced Computational Science,
- Strengthen the department's connections with the local IT industry.
Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Applications must be submitted via AcademicJobsOnline: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/6983
Research Scientist at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence
- Employer: Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2)
- Title: Research Scientist
- Specialties (one or more): Natural language processing, machine reading, automatic knowledge base construction, large-scale textual inference and entailment, knowledge representation and reasoning, question answering and explanation
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Deadline: N/A, we are hiring throughout 2016
- Date posted: 02/09/2016
- Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://allenai.org/jobs.html
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of (AI2) is to contribute to humanity through high-impact AI research and engineering. We are actively seeking Research Scientists at all levels who are passionate about AI and who can help us achieve this core mission by teaming to construct AI systems with reasoning, learning and reading capabilities.
AI2 currently has projects in the following areas:
- Language and Vision
- Information extraction and semantic parsing
- Question answering
- Language and reasoning
- Machine learning and theory formation
- Semantic search
- Natural language processing
- Diagram understanding
- Visual knowledge extraction and visual reasoning
AI2 Research Scientists will have a primary focus in one of these specific areas but will also have the opportunity to contribute and engage in a variety of other areas critical to our research and mission. These include opportunities to participate in or lead select R&D projects, work with management to develop the long term vision for knowledge systems R&D, take a leading role in overseeing and implementing software systems supporting AI2’s research, author and present scientific papers and presentations for peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and help develop collaborative and strategic relationships with relevant academic, industrial, government, and standards organizations.
Applicants for Research Scientist at AI2 should have a strong foundation (typically PhD level) in one or more of the following areas: natural language processing, machine reading, automatic knowledge base construction, large-scale textual inference and entailment, knowledge representation and reasoning, computer vision and machine learning, or question answering and explanation. We look favorably upon extensive work experience and publishing demonstrating application of your research.
In addition to AI2’s core mission of being a leader in the field of AI research, we also aim to create a superb team environment and to invest in each team member’s personal development. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity of thought – we seek Research Scientists who can bring novel experiences and modes of problem solving to our leading-edge mission. If you are creative and efficient in your approach and insightful in your questioning, AI2 could be a great environment for you;
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, we have the defending Super Bowl champions, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 30+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
Visit our website for more information: http://allenai.org/jobs.html
Software Engineer - Machine Learning / NLP (Chinese) at SYSTRAN
- Employer: SYSTRAN
- Title: Software Engineer
- Topics: Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Machine Translation
- Location: San Diego
- Deadline: Open until filled
- Date Posted: January 29, 2016
- Contact: Apply directly at https://recruit.systrangroup.com/recruit/Portal.na
SYSTRAN is currently seeking an experienced Software Engineer specializing in Machine Learning / NLP to join our R&D team in San Diego to develop machine translation systems.
The ideal candidate must have a combination of research and implementation skills, including significant programming experience. Hands-on experience with machine learning, including deep neural network, text classification, statistical techniques for NLP or a related field, is highly desirable.
Responsibilities include software development, experimentation, analysis of results, and building systems that combine linguistics and statistical language models for machine translation centering on Chinese language.
- Knowledge of natural language processing field, including but not limited to, formal grammar, syntactic parsing and morphology
- Good algorithmic knowledge of machine learning
- Experience writing and debugging software
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Fluent in English.
- Fluent in Chinese is a plus
Education and Experience
- MS or Ph D in Computational Linguistics / Computer Science or relevant field.
- 2+ years work experience preferred
- Successful candidates will be offered a competitive salary based on their qualifications and experience.
Vacancy for Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader at University of Dundee
- Employer: University of Dundee
- Title: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader
- Topics: Computational Linguistics, Language, Argumentation, Artificial Intelligence
- Location: Dundee, UK
- Deadline: 27 February 2016
- Date Posted: 12 January 2016
- Contact: Prof. Chris Reed (see http://arg.tech/lecturer)
£34,576 to £55,389 Full Time, Permanent
The University of Dundee’s School of Science & Engineering is advertising several permanent posts including one covering the Centre for Argument Technology. We are particularly keen to receive applications from candidates in Computational Linguistics to expand the group’s research in Argument Mining (see http://argmining2016.arg.tech and http://arg.tech/am), but welcome applications in all areas of the overlap between argumentation and artificial intelligence. A strong publication profile is essential, and for more senior appointments, so is a track record of funding success.
For further information about the Centre for Argument Technology, please see http://arg.tech or contact Prof. Chris Reed; for more information about the position, see http://arg.tech/lecturer. General details follow.
Summary of Job Purpose and Principal Duties
The University of Dundee is seeking an exceptional candidate to join one of our Computing research groups, based within the School of Science and Engineering. The successful candidate will develop new research lines within either the (i) Human Centred Computing Group; (ii) the Centre for Argument Technology; or (iii) the Space Technology Centre. Full information on the current research in each group can be found in the Further Particulars.
The successful candidate is expected to have a strong track record of research and a clear research plan that articulates with (or expands significantly) one of these areas. They will be expected to contribute to the development of research in this area by publishing in the highest quality journals and attracting appropriate research funding. For appointments at Grade 8 and 9, candidates are expected to show evidence of having attracted independent funding. The School encourages applications from holders of personal Fellowships.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be expected to take an active role in the teaching of undergraduate computing programmes as well as supporting teaching at Masters level.
The appointee will be expected to contribute to research in Computing and to teaching and administration within the School of Science and Engineering. They will be expected to:
- Contribute to the ongoing research in one of the three research groups described above.
- Contribute to the generation of external research funding.
- Publish in high quality research journals and major international conferences.
- Teach at undergraduate and post-graduate level.
- Supervise students at all levels (honours and MSc projects, PhD).
- Undertake administrative duties.
In addition to the online form, applicants must include with their application:
- Cover letter outlining fit to role.
- Research plan (1-2 pages) covering proposed research over the first three years of the appointment.
- Teaching plan (1-2 pages) outlining fit to current teaching at Dundee and teaching methodology.
- Employer: US Naval Research Laboratory
- Title: Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Topics: Reasoning, Computational Modeling, Language, Artificial Intelligence
- Location: Washington, DC
- Deadline: Open until filled
- Date Posted: January 20, 2016
- Contact: Sunny Khemlani (email@example.com)
Research focus: The Postdoctoral Fellow will collaborate on various projects in reasoning, including (but not limited to) building a unified computational framework of reasoning; investigating how people engage in explanatory reasoning; and testing a system that reasons about time and temporal relations.
Supervisor: Sunny Khemlani, PhD
Key qualifications: A Ph.D. in cognitive psychology, cognitive science, or computer science, with experience in higher level cognition, experimental design and data analysis, or cognitive modeling. Experience with theories of reasoning, computer programming, and cognitive modeling is a strong plus.
Length of appointment: This position is for one year with second and third year reappointment dependent on satisfactory performance.
Program and compensation: The Fellowship operates through the NRC Research Associateship Program (http://sites.nationalacademies.org/pga/rap/). Only US citizenship or green card holders are eligible for the program. Fellows are compensated through a research stipend of ~$75,000/year.
To apply: Send a cover letter and CV to Dr. Sunny Khemlani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internship positions available at Juji, Inc.
- Employer: Juji, Inc.
- Title: Intern
- Location: Saratoga, CA
- Deadline: open until all the positions are filled
- Date Posted: January 14, 2016
Description: Have you ever watched the movie Her? Have you ever wondered or wished to have a virtual partner just like Samantha, who could tell you what you really are, whom your best partner may be, and even cheers you up? At Juji, we are building a hyper-personalized, virtual REP (Responsible, Empathetic Pal) for everyone. Your REP not only understands who you are, including your personality, motivations, and strengths, but it can also chat with you to learn and help fulfill your certain needs.
We are seeking highly motivated and talented students, who are eager to help us tackle great technical challenges at Juji and to expand their knowledge and skills in the real world. We are especially interested in students who have had worked or love to work in the following areas: Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing/Natural Language Generation, Machine Learning, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Visualization/Visual Analytics, and Cognitive Science.
We have multiple positions on two main tracks:
- Software development. If you love to create amazing software technologies and systems for real users, this is the track for you. You are expected to own and deliver a relatively independent project that will contribute to our cutting-edge product development effort.
- Scientific research. If you love to design and conduct scientific experiments to answer a specific set of research questions, this is the track for you. You will work on a government funded research project on understanding human trust in a digital environment. You are expected to play a critical role in designing and conducting novel research studies and writing papers that lead to scientific publications.
Qualifications Outstanding current students towards a bachelor or higher degree in the area of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent disciplines are encouraged to apply. Strong software development or visual design skills are a plus.
To apply: Please email a copy of your resume to the following address: email@example.com with a subject line “Summer Internship 2016”, and state your track preference in your email body.
Postdoctoral Fellow in Natural Language Processing / AI at Brigham and Women's Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- Employer: Brigham and Women's Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- Title: Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Topics: Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Predictive Modeling
- Location: Boston, MA
- Deadline: Open until filled
- Date Posted: January 8, 2016
- Contact: Alexander Turchin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Research focus: the Fellow will work in a multi-disciplinary team of artificial intelligence scientists, informaticians, biostatisticians, and clinicians on projects involving development of high-dimensional predictive models in medicine. The models will be based on data from a large integrated healthcare system and will utilize a combination of artificial intelligence and natural language processing of multiple narrative document streams.
Supervisor: Alexander Turchin, MD, MS, FACMI
Required skills: experience with natural language processing; ability to design and conduct effective research studies; strong analytical, scientific writing, presentation and communication skills; strong programming and system development skills. Experience with artificial intelligence technologies, predictive modeling, Big Data and medical terminologies / ontologies is a strong plus.
Education: PhD in computer science, biomedical informatics, linguistics, or a related discipline; MD or an equivalent degree.
Length of appointment: This position is for one year with second and third year reappointment dependent on satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Compensation: according to NIH (NRSA) stipend levels.
To apply: send cover letter and CV to Dr. Alexander Turchin at email@example.com.