ACL 2001 Report Instructions
This page contains instructions for ACL officials preparing reports for 2001.
Please send any correspondence to
Completed reports are available
Request for reports and invitation to exec-plus dinner
In preparation for this year's executive committee meeting, I need
your status reports on ACL activities during the last year and
a description of ongoing activities.
I need a brief report, in plain ASCII format, of
no more than a few paragraphs in each assigned area. These will be
used both as a public record of ACL activities and as a basis for
discussions at the ACL Executive Meeting, the Exec-Plus Dinner,
and the Public Business Meeting. Please inform me
as soon as possible if responsibility for your task has switched to
someone else (and also include their email address). I will compile
the reports and distribute them in advance of the meeting.
The content of the reports will be used to set agenda items for the meeting.
Therefore it is essential that they be received NO LATER THAN the deadline
and earlier if possible. Thus I urge you to take the time to prepare your
report well in advance.
Officials who complete their report are invited to attend the
"Executive Plus" Dinner and present their report (details to be announced).
Background: where reports are presented
- Executive Meeting: This is a full-day meeting of the ACL Executive
usually held before the conference. The president or secretary usually
invites the people involved in current and future conferences to attend
part of the meeting and give a status report.
- Exec-Plus Dinner: This is an evening meeting which includes
everyone who has submitted reports, including representatives of all
the SIGs. This dinner has the dual role of thanking people
who have contributed to ACL, and also as a working meeting
where some topics can be discussed in a larger group.
- Business Meeting: This is a public meeting for the ACL membership,
and the ideal place for reporting ACL and SIG initiatives and for
informing the membership about the full breadth of activities in the association.
Consider putting your main points on a transparency (in a large point-size).
Everyone submitting reports will have an opportunity for
short presentations at both the exec-plus dinner and business meetings.
Some reports will also be presented at the exec meeting (by invitation).
Please plan presentations to avoid duplication of content.
In particular, so that the exec-plus dinner does not run late,
please note the following points:
- be as brief as possible!
- assume that everyone has read the written reports
- focus on issues that warrant group discussion or feedback
- defer announcements of general interest to the business meeting
Last year's reports
In preparing your report, you may find it helpful to check last year's reports.
These reports, compiled by David Yarowsky, are online at:
||Please bookmark this page and plan your report! :-)|
|MONDAY JUNE 25
||email your ASCII report to
with the subject line "ACL EXEC REPORT"
Please don't send anything but ASCII
|FRIDAY JUNE 29
||reports circulated - please read!|
|SUNDAY JULY 8
|MONDAY JULY 9
|TUESDAY JULY 10
Note: The June 25 deadline is designed to give you as much time
as possible, but it is tight for me - if possible, it would be a
big help if you sent your report by Monday June 11. Thanks.
(Note that I will be away from email between 12 and 26 June.)
Suggesting other agenda items
If you wish to suggest specific agenda items to be covered
at any of the exec meeting, the exec-plus dinner or the business meeting,
please summarize the proposed topic in an
email with subject "ACL EXEC MEETING PROPOSED AGENDA ITEM" and send it to
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
Below is the list of topics with assignments (guessed in some cases).
If more than one person is listed by a subject, the first person
is asked to ensure that someone on the team files the report on time.
- Reports from ACL management
- President's report (Eduard Hovy)
- Secretary's report (Sandra Carberry)
- Treasurer's report (Kathleen F. McCoy)
- ACL European Chapter Chair (Donia Scott)
- ACL European Chapter Treasurer (Mike Rosner)
- ACL North American Chapter Chair (Diane Litman)
- ACL North American Chapter Treasurer (Barbara Di Eugenio)
- Special Liason with Asia (Jun'Ichi Tsujii)
- Nominating Committee (Eva Hajicova, Philip Cohen, Wolfgang Wahlster)
- General Conference Chair (Bonnie Webber)
- Program Co-Chairs (Norbert Reithinger, Giorgio Satta)
- Local Arrangements (Patrick Saint-Dizier)
- Tutorial Chairs (Paola Merlo, Gertjan van Noord)
- Publication Chair (Roberto Zamparelli)
- Student Session Chairs (Eleni Miltsakaki, Christof Monz, António Ribeiro)
- Workshop Chair (Rebecca Bruce)
- Journal and Publications
- Journal (Julia Hirschberg)
- Book Reviews (Graeme Hirst)
- Squibs and Comments (Pierre Isabelle)
- Cambridge University Book Series (Bran Boguraev, Steven Bird)
- Recent Conferences
- NAACL-01 General (Lori Levin)
- NAACL-01 Program Chair (Kevin Knight)
- Future Conferences
- ACL-02 local arrangements (Martha Palmer)
- ACL-03 site selection (John Nerbonne)
- Special Interest Groups
- General (John Nerbonne)
- SIGDAT (Kenneth W. Church, David Yarowsky)
- SIGDIAL (Laila Dybkjaer)
- SIGGEN (Ehud Reiter)
- SIGLEX (Adam Kilgarriff)
- SIGMEDIA (Elisabeth Andre)
- SIGMOL (Larry Moss)
- SIGNLL (Walter Daelemans)
- SIGPARSE (Harry Bunt)
- SIGPHON (Jason Eisner)
- SIGSEM (Patrick Blackburn)
- ACL WWW page (Dragomir Radev)
- ACL Archives (Richard Sproat)
- Other Reports
- ACL/COLING (Wolfgang Wahlster)
- Other exec members not otherwise listed - do any of these people have
reports to give?
(Dekai Wu, Felisa Verdejo, Mark Johnson)